There’s a great new book coming out that really should be on your Christmas list.
It’s called ‘Meals That Heal‘ and it’s not only informative, it looks beautiful and has lots of exciting recipes for you to try. We asked the author, Karen Maidment, a health and nutrition specialist to tell share one of her recipes with us…
“As a health & nutrition specialist, personal cookery coach and author of Meals That Heal Anti Inflammatory Healthcare & Free From Cooking, real foods that are also healing are my number one priority.
“Thanks to Goodness Direct us free from foodies can purchase mouth watering delicious ingredients without the fear of food sensitivity associated pain.
“This gorgeous recipe combines some of my favourite super foods, raw cacao, coconut oil and raw honey allowing you to reveal in this decadent treat completely guilt free, enjoy!”
Raw Cacao & Pecan Cake
Free from gluten, dairy, soy and egg!
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 45-50min
170g/6oz organic Dove’s Farm Gluten Free Plain Flour
110g/4 oz organic raw cacao powder
110g/4 oz organic coconut sugar
2 tbsp organic raw honey
1 sp organic vanilla extract
1 tsp Organic Dove’s Farm Baking Powder
1 tsp Dove’s Farm Organic Bicarbonate Soda
250ml Organic Biona Coconut Milk
170g/6oz Organic Biona Coconut Oil
125g organic pecan nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 170°c, 340°f, gas mark4
2. In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sea salt.
3. Place the coconut oil, milk, sugar, vanilla and honey in a saucepan and melt on gently on a low heat.
4. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients and pour the melted wet ingredients in. Mix using a whisk (electric or hand) until there are no lumps.
5. Using a rolling pin smash the pecan nuts (inside a bag) into small bite size pieces. Sprinkle 2/3 of the nuts into the mixture, combining with a wooden spoon.
6. Grease a false bottomed cake tin thoroughly with coconut oil and pour your cake mixture in. Sprinkle the rest of the nuts onto the top of the cake.
7. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the cake. NOTE: if the top of the cake starts to burn simply cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper.
8. Once cooked carefully work your way around the edge of the cake with a knife to loosen, and then using an oven mitt gently push the cake up from the bottom and out of the tin. Set on a wire rack to cool. Once slightly cooled remove the cake tin base from under the cake.
9. Dust with a little icing sugar.