Gluten Free Celebration Cake is a 3 layer sponge cake with a non-dairy cream cheese filling. Although this recipe is gluten free it does have egg whites. You could use NO EGG as an alternative if you want to avoid eggs completely or are vegan.
4oz Icing sugar
1 Tbsp Rapeseed oil or other vegetable oil
2oz Cornflour (corn starch)
2oz Rice flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp Xanthan gum
2oz Ground almonds
1 tbsp Vanilla essence
3 Egg whites or No Egg
Icing sugar to dust
Cocoa powder to dust
For the Filling
225g Non-dairy cream cheese (cold)
3 tbsp Icing sugar
2 tsp Vanilla essence
2 tbsp Non Dairy Margarine
To make the cakes:
- Place the margarine, oil and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together with a whisk until pale.
- In a separate bowl mix the rice flour, corn starch, baking powder, bi carb, xanthan gum, almonds and salt until well blended.
- Add the vanilla essence, egg whites and half of the flour mixture. Whisk until well whipped and creamy.
- When the cake mixture is ready it should start to slide up to the top of the whisk. (around 1-2 minutes)
- Add the other half of the flour mixture and gently fold in by moving a spoon over and under the mixture rather than stirring – do not stir. You want to add air at this point rather than lose it.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured shallow 7 inch cake tins and place into a hot oven at gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- Once the cakes have cooled place all of the filling ingredients into a clean mixing bowl.
To make the filling:
- Whisk together the non-dairy cream cheese (cold), icing sugar, vanilla essence, margarine until well combined and stiff
- Spread the bottom 2 cakes with the blueberry conserve.
- Spread half of the cream filling on top of the blueberry conserve.
- Pile up the bottom 2 cakes and place the final cake on the very top
- Decorate with sieved icing sugar and cocoa
This cake is best made a day early and kept in the fridge.
Adapted from a recipe by Jeenas Kitchen