Ready in 15 minutes
No added sugar
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 1 large free range egg
- 250ml your choice of milk
- 125ml water
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- groundnut oil to fry (you can use olive oil but this has a higher smoke point)
- If using a blender, put all the ingredients into the bowl and pulse until smooth.
- If making by hand, whisk the flour, egg and milk together until you have a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the water and yoghurt to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan, just enough to cover the base.
- Add enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan and tilt pan to spread evenly.
- Cook until golden, then flip or turn over gently and cook on the other side.
- Repeat until all pancake batter is used up.
- Gluten free
- Wheat free (buckwheat is from the rhubarb family)
- No added sugar
Stack pancakes, cover with sliced fresh berries and then drizzle the Sweet Freedom over the top.
Serve with fresh orange and lemon wedges, squeeze over the juice and then drizzle Sweet Freedom over the top.
Drizzle over a hot chocolate sauce.
Version 1: In a small bowl whisk together until smooth with no lumps; 2 tbsp boiling water, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tbsp Sweet Freedom. Heat carefully in the microwave for approx 30 seconds, stirring at intervals until it has boiled or heat in a small pan, stirring on the hob until boiling point and it has thickened slightly.
Indulgent version 2: Break up 100g of 100% chocolate (or the darkest chocolate you can find which will have a small amount of sugar in it) into a small pan and add 2 tbsp of Sweet Freedom, heat gently until melted and combined, stirring.
These pancakes also freeze beautifully, freeze in a stack with greaseproof paper between each one and defrost each one quickly in a dry pan on the hob or for a few seconds in the microwave as needed.