Mercury in Tuna

There have been recent fears that children may be at risk of mercury poisoning from eating tuna. This scare originates from American claims that eating too much Tuna may cause learning difficulties in children as the flesh of tuna becomes contaminated with mercury from polluted waters more than most other fish. A Government report which has been commissioned to establish safe guidelines for quantities of tuna safe to be eaten.

It is reported that new research is to be carried out by the Government concerning levels of mercury in fish, based on US claims that eating too much tuna may cause learning difficulties in children as the flesh of tuna becomes contaminated with mercury from polluted waters more than most other fish.

Two years ago, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) warned expectant mothers not to eat more than two cans of tuna each week to protect their unborn child. An American child suffered learning difficulties and mercury poisoning after eating a portion if tuna every day, and this has raised concerns. Michael Bender, director of the Mercury Policy Project, which campaigns for the reduction of mercury pollution, said ‘the FSA needs to take the next step and recommend a proper limit for the amount of tuna children can eat’.

As far as I can see there are no guidelines available yet, so proceed with caution.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s